Todd A. Bell National Resource Center on the African American Male Blog

Monday, November 15, 2010

Student of the Month: Maykel D. Desir


Maykel D. Desir
Poughkeepsie, NY 
Major: Biology, with a minor in Music 
Year: 4th

The Bell National Resource Center on the African American Male selects a student every month who has excelled not only in the classroom, but outside as well.  Mr. Desir has exhibited great leadership within his community and is a great asset to OSU students.

What are some of your life goals?   One thing that I really am focused on doing in life is making a significant impact in the quality of life of others, with a more specific focus to the underserved populations. Based on different life experiences I decided I would be most effective at channeling that drive through the practice of medicine. Although most of my focus would be on health related improvement, I also have a drive to help in any way possible to improve the quality of childhood education in the various areas around my hometown, and my parents native country of Haiti.

Who inspired you to go into this direction?  Why?     My parents played a large role in forming my appreciation for the well being of others. There were a lot of things that I saw them do as a child that really left a strong impression. From the foundation of faith that they built their lifestyles around; to them opening up the doors of our house to many other families, even with their own share of struggles, I essentially felt that that was the way things were supposed to be.

As a child I had a lot of battles with my asthma. When my allergist referred a new preventative medication to me, the battles came to an end for me. Because of how grateful I was I realized how I would help increase others’ quality of life professionally. I wanted to do it through medicine. My mother gave me book titled Think Big, by Dr. Ben Carson, which really solidified my decision.
 
What activities are you involved in at OSU?    I am currently the Director of Service of the Band of Brothers student organization on campus, and also a member of the Mortar Board and Helix Tri-Beta honor societies here on campus. I am also an Assistant Director of the Student Organization Support and Outreach branch of the Undergraduate Student Government, with a focus on Minority Organizations. Once a week I also attend a Bible study with the Adventist Christian Fellowship study group.

What activities are you involved in outside of OSU?    Prison Ministries, Homeless Ministries, Assistant Youth Choir Director, Restoration Gospel Choir Member


What are your pursuits after graduating?   Medical school and possibly pursue a M.B.A.

What do you think is the role of Black males at OSU and abroad?    I feel the Black male’s role at OSU and abroad should be to strive for academic and leadership excellence so that they can use the resources that they gain to the benefit of other students on their respective campuses, workplaces, households, etc. It’s important as black males that potentially could have a strong influence on other black males; that we lead by example and set a standard of excellence that can pave the road for the up-and-coming young men along with our peers.

Any parting words?    I was honored and surprised to be chosen as the BRC student of the Month, and I am extremely grateful and thankful for the award along with all of the help and resources that the BRC makes available to young Black males like myself on campus. I look forward to continue to work closely with the BRC, and hopefully, at some point, I can actually live up to this great honor. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home