Todd A. Bell National Resource Center on the African American Male Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Student of the Month

Each month the Bell National Resource Center on the African American Male selects a “Student of the Month” who has excelled not only in the classroom, but outside as well. This month Mr. Harry A. Locke has been chosen as he has exhibited great leadership skills and his effectiveness as an entrepreneur.

Name: Harry A. Locke
Where you are from: Calumet City, IL
Major: Public Affairs Journalism, with a minor in Criminology
Year: 4th | Senior
What are some of your life goals?
For the past 5 years I have been heavily engaged in multimedia production, with a key focus on independent filmmaking. Through this period of artistic and intellectual growth, I have learned that I receive a great deal of personal satisfaction in being able to bridge the gap between traditional communication and visual technology. The film medium gives me the ability to give voice to the voiceless, explore unique human behavior and marginalized populations, as well as the opportunity to entertain a mass audience with my imagination. As I continue to refine my skill as both an artist and filmmaker, my primary life goal is to produce content that I am proud to stand behind, and challenge my viewers to see the world and human condition from a different perspective.
What and/or Who inspired you to go into this direction? Why?
Growing up the only child in a home where I was fortunate to have both parents, I was constantly groomed to understand that “mediocrity” and “simply being average” bared little to no distinction between “failure.” I was taught to not only succeed in my endeavors, but to excel. Watching my parents sacrifice their time, finances, and health to ensure I have greater opportunities for success then they did during childhood, has heightened expectations I hold for myself. Filmmaking is an extension of both my parent’s passion to educate me, and my want to educate and entertain others through my work. Fortunately, in addition to family, I have also surrounded myself with a great cast of friends who have been vital in both my personal and professional growth.
What activities are you involved in on-campus?
I am currently the web and graphic designer for the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum here on campus, which happens to house the largest depository of original cartoon art in the nation. I am also employed as the undergraduate teaching aid for Communication 426, a class that focuses on introducing students to the integration between traditional journalistic skills and new age means of media production.
What activities are you involved in outside of The Ohio State University?
My “free time” is completely invested in working as founder and creative director of Code 10 Studios, a startup media production company I founded with friends in high school. For the past 5 years we have focused on bridging the gap between communication and technology through quality and innovation; working with a number of high-level clientele such as OSU’s School of Communication and EcoCAR team, the National Association of Social Workers – Ohio Chapter, and producing two independently funded feature length films for public distribution.
What do you think is the role of Black males at OSU and abroad?
Rosalynn Carter, wife of former US President Jimmy Carter, once said “A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go, but ought to be.” Black males enrolled at the Ohio State University have already placed themselves in a position of leadership, by rising above many of the negative influences that cause so many of our brothers to be trapped in an alarming state of intellectual and societal regression. Black males at Ohio State are expected to serve as leaders in both the classroom and the community, because we have defied the statistics and broken the stereotypes. But a true challenge awaits Black males at Ohio State and abroad who wish to answer the call in becoming great leaders. We have been fortunate in obtaining the tools necessary to succeed, but for those who have not, we must play the role of inspiration and allow our influence to serve as a guiding light to our peers. I feel our own personal successes are no longer sufficient in today’s age; it is our right to actively pursue overall improvement of the Black community through leadership, service, and education.
What are your thoughts on the state of African American males at Ohio State?
I am constantly amazed and inspired by the selfless community of African American males at the Ohio State University. So many of us understand that great leadership is contingent upon an individual’s autonomy, ability to proactively collaborate with those involved, and convey vision competently through effective communication. I have had the opportunity to meet future doctors, lawyers, physicists, engineers, professors, musicians, artists, and other difference-makers who are leaving their mark within their respective fields. Ohio State is producing students who will not only set an example for other African American males, but to all individuals looking for an example of excellence.
What are your pursuits after graduating?
I intend on further strengthening my technical and narrative skill set by attending graduate school in pursuit of an MFA in Film/TV production.
Any parting words? I am extremely humbled to be selected as the BNRC student of the month, as I know there is no shortage of talented individuals eligible for the award. I look forward to using the remainder of my time here at the Ohio State University to work with the BNRC in continuing to facilitate the tools necessary to help Black males achieve on campus and beyond.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home