Michelle L. Alexander Delivers Keynote Address at Annual Historical Lecture Series
On Tuesday, February 15 at 6:00 pm, the Bell National Resource Center on the African American Male will host its annual Historical Lecture Series in the Hale Black Cultural Center’s MLK Lounge.
Michelle L. Alexander, will deliver this year’s keynote address. Her talk will focus on her recent book, “The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness”. She argues that the imprisonment of many people of color in what many label a “post-racial society,” mirrors Jim Crow segregation of the 20th century.
To RSVP, please send an email with the number of guest attending to odi-brc@osu.edu with “Historical Lecture” in the subject heading.


1 Comments:
I went to the program and it was a very good program but I have a major problem. It seems to me as though them members of the African American community have became too comfortable with our position in society. I sat and listen to the presenter say things like "smoking weed in the privacy of your own home". As if to say everything that you do in your home deserves full privacy even if you are breaking the law. It is true that today if you are black then you can go to jail for doing nothing wrong, I advise that we stop complaining about this and remember a time when you could die for just being black. I believe that we have become to comfortable and we are not on the top of our game like we used to be. We now have an attitude as if something is owed to us. Yes there are many inequalities and the truth is, is that it may never be completely fair between whites and minorities but we need be thankful for all that we have and stay on our ps and qs.
By
Jarrel, at 11:13 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home